16 November 2021
Myanmar Witness verifies toxic culture of Light Infantry Division LID-101
A video emerged online from November 2021 showing Myanmar military soldiers leading an attack on a village in Myanmar’s north.
Myanmar Witness has geolocated, chronolocated and verified the footage, adding English subtitles to make it more widely accessible.
The footage gives a rare, first-hand glimpse into the mindset of soldiers during a raid on a village. More than that, it reveals - through action and dialogue - the highly toxic culture of a specific Light Infantry Division, LID-101, which clearly allows and encourages the following forms of illegal behaviour:
- The Use of fire to destroy homes, entire villages, and places of worship
- The collective punishment of entire villages
- The destruction of civilian property
- The arbitrary detention at gunpoint of civilians
- The summary killing of anyone suspected of associating with anti-SAC forces
Filmed by the perpetrators, the video shows military personnel leading an attack on Min Ywar village and repeatedly exhorting each other to make LID-101 proud with their viciousness.
Read Myanmar Witness’ report for more information.